Are you a MASTER asker? The most successful people on the planet are great at asking for what they desire.
What does it mean to be a MASTER asker?
It’s simple. To be a MASTER asker is to be able to ask for what you desire without the attachment to the outcome.
In my experience most people will not ask for what they desire because they are attaching the question to an outcome. This means they have one of the following root fears as identified by Napoleon Hill in his book, Think and Grow Rich.
Most do not ask because of one of these two fears:
1. They fear criticism. In this fear they can’t handle a no answer or rejection. In other words they are attaching asking for something to the outcome, a “No” answer because they are stupid, cheap or some other negative reason.
2. They fear the loss of love of someone. This is very similar to the first fear. They believe that by asking for something the person they ask won’t like or love them anymore. Once again they are attaching asking for something to the outcome.
A MASTER asker will not have these two fears because they could care less what the outcome of asking the question will bring.
Let me give you an example.
I used to fly to Chicago from Las Vegas about 3 times a year to attend a master mind group. I would fly on America West Airline which had coach and first class. I would always buy a coach ticket but upon arrival to the airport at check-in ask if I could sit in first class. I figured I would never get to sit in first class unless I asked and if they said no I would be no better off than if I didn’t ask.
At least 75% of the time I would get upgraded to first class without having to pay extra.
What do you think my success percentage would have been if I didn’t ask? You get the point.
My wife traveled with me once and when I told her that I was going to ask to upgrade she was upset with me. She rationalized that the ticket agent would think we were sponging and wanting something for free and would thus think ill will of us. Can you see what fear she had above? Was my wife attaching a result to the question?
I asked the ticket agent and to my wife’s amazement we were both upgraded. She still felt cheap and that we had gotten something without paying for it. When I asked the ticket agent why she upgraded us my wife got a new reality presented to her when the ticket agent said, “It made me feel good to help you because your husband is so tall and I knew coach would be uncomfortable for him. Besides, you both look like nice people.”
Mark Vistor Hansen, a co-author of the very successful Chicken Soup for the Soul books has The Eight-Step Process to Better Asking.
1. Act as if you expect to get it. It is of primary importance that your state of thinking contains a solid level of certainty and expectation when you ask. When I asked to upgrade I always knew they would say yes.
2. Ask someone who can give it to you. This goes without saying. Before you ask you must make an assessment of whether or not they are able to give it to you. I often consult with couples in my Isagenix nutrition business. Often times one member of the couple has the power of the purse strings. This is the person I always ask.
3. Get the other person’s full attention. Your request deserves that respect! If the person can’t give you their full attention, set up an appointment based on their desired schedule. I’ve been in presentations where an attendee had other things on their mind even though by being in attendance I knew they had an interest. If I asked for their business with their less than 100% attention, I know my request will fall on deaf ears.
4. Be clear and specific. Be as concise as you possible can in your requests. Ask for what you want, not for what you don’t want. Also, be careful what you ask for because you may get it! I’ve seen people ask knowing ahead of time they would be denied. The best example of this is when one of my team members kept getting denied because of price. I knew our product actually saves households money. So I asked my team member if they believed the product’s price was too much. Upon reflection, almost like a deer in the headlights, they reflected that they did. They were always asking as if they knew the price was too much.
5. Ask from the heart. You can have anything you want if you want it desperately enough! Keep that unbridled passion for your purpose, project or goal stirring in your soul as you begin to ask, and maintain eye contact throughout the entire asking process. When I would ask for an upgrade I always called the person by their first name and made a personal connection before I would ask. I knew in my mind that they wanted to give me the upgrade. I just had to ask and give them the reason to grant it; not for me but for them!
6. Ask with humor and creativity. Humor captures our attention and breaks down our defenses. Creativity disarms our resistance and opens our minds to new possibilities.
7. Give something to get something. As Zig Ziglar says, “You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.” When you’re asking, always be sure to explain what’s in it for them, how they benefit and win because they’ve acted positively to your request. When I would ask for an upgrade I would always tell them that their kindness would not go unnoticed because I would always remember “the angel behind the counter!”
8. Ask repeatedly. If someone says, “No!” you say, “Next!” Expect “No’s” even on a repeated basis from the same people you’re asking. Your tenaciousness and perseverance will undoubtedly pay off.
Like everything in life, it takes perfect practice to excel at something. Asking can be a skill that is learned and perfected. The first step is just doing so without the attachment to an outcome.
You have talents that my team needs to be successful and I’m asking you if I may invite you to learn more. Everyone is unique and that is what makes the team better. You know what your talents are and I’d like to learn from you.
You deserve to have better health and wealth and being a part of our team can help you achieve it. Isagenix® is helping more people obtain a six and seven-figure income than any company in history while at the same time improving health in a major way. I know, I left a fairly lucrative CPA and Investment Advisory Firm to join the team as well.
I’m inviting you to contact me if you think you have the talents to own your own business, excel in a team environment and along the way get what you want in life by helping others get what they want in life. Who do you know that doesn’t want to improve their health and wealth?
Please contact me. What’s the worst thing that can happen if you call me? We may become good friends in the process! I certainly hope so!
Michael Lantz, 702-497-9649, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The World’s Greatest Friend™
Isagenix® is the World Leader in Nutritional Cleansing and Replenishing™