There was a terrifying time that I ate pretty much the same things day in and day out. I lived on Diet soda, Panda Express, hot dogs, PBJ sandwiches and orange juice. I’m serious. I rarely had a salad and never drank water. My wife cooked decent meals but even now as I look back, those meals they were not really that great although it’s what most people eat; meat, potatoes and canned green beans.
I had ballooned in weight hitting 257 lbs, the heaviest I’d ever been. Then I had a revelation. Below are some food rules that if followed will really improve your health. For me when I finally got it all figured out I was able to release 50 lbs in 2006 and I’ve kept it off ever since. Today my mouth waters at the site of vegetables. I’m a spinach-a-holic!
The Miracle Dozen + One Food Rules
1. Eat 4 different colors of raw organic fruits and vegetables a day.
2. Consume hormone and antibiotic free animal protein.
3. Avoid red meat and especially processed red meat (bacon and hot dogs). Red meat is acidic and has many hormones and antibiotics. If you do eat red meat, only eat small portions (less than 3 oz.) a couple of times a month. Only eat beef that has been grass feed.
4. Eat wild fish instead of farm feed fish.
5. Always consume a carbohydrate (fruits and vegetables) combined with a protein and healthy fat in every meal or snack. An example would be some carrot sticks (carb) with some almonds or walnuts (protein and fat).
6. Avoid anything with a food label on it except Isagenix (I know I’m partial, but you get what I mean, processed food is bad for you). Shop on the perimeter of the grocery store where you’ll find the produce and meat sections. Produce and meat do not have a food label on them. You’ll be avoiding the processed food in boxes, jars and cans.
7. During the weight loss phase of a health plan or getting to other results you’re trying to achieve I recommend you avoid drinking soda pop or any energy drinks.
8. During your period of weight loss I highly recommend no alcoholic beverages; beer, wine, the hard stuff too. Alcohol turns into pure sugar in the body once it is consumed (read #12 below) and will stop weight loss in its tracks. After you achieve your weight and fitness goal, you may then return to consumption in moderation.
9. Drink 1/2 your body weight in pounds in ounces of purified water. Example: If you weight 150 lbs you would consume 75 ounces of water a day. Drink 8.5 to 9.5 pH water. This will promote alkalinity in your body.
10. Eat your fruit later in the day after 2 PM. This will keep your blood sugar up late in the day and help you avoid the late day hunger craving. Although, if you have a weak adrenal gland or your older (50+) you may want to limit or even eliminate most fruit that is high in sugar like bananas due to the insulin response.
11. Never go hungry. If you have your morning breakfast protein shake at 8am and begin to be hungry at 11 am it’s too late to go back and eat. The next day learn from that eating pattern and have a healthy snack about 10:30am before you get hungry.
12. Never eat processed sugar, ever!!! It’s proven that one teaspoon of processed sugar can set your healthy fat burning back as much as three weeks!
13. Never eat anything that is white (pasta, bread and bananas) except an egg, cauliflower or an Isalean vanilla shake.